Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Santorum Ties Romney in Michigan - splits the delegates.

Santorum Ties Romney in Michigan - splits the delegates
2-29-2012.

Mitt Romney won Michigan and Arizona. In Michigan Mitt won 41% of the popular vote to 37% for Rick, but they split the delegate count - in Mitt's home state!

Michigan awards their delegates by Congressional District. So while Romney narrowly won the statewide popular vote, we won the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th and 13th districts, and one more district, the 5th, is within a 100 votes and there might be a recount. Gov. Romney and I will each get one of Michigan's two at large delegates, giving us a split of 15-15.

Here's the bottom line: Mitt Romney and his SuperPAC outspent us by millions of dollars in his home state, and he couldn't come away with anything better than a tie in the delegate count. No matter what the press would have you believe this morning, we are now in for a long, important battle. But before I get to that, I just have to tell you, I thought a lot about my grandfather last night.

He was an immigrant from Italy. He became a coal miner, and worked hard every day. To think that his grandson could run in the most important Presidential election in American history is absolutely inspiring!

I thought of him a lot during the early days of this campaign when I was spending long nights crisscrossing Iowa to talk with voters, driving in my own car while other candidates were taking private jets. It's hard to be the underdog! Let me tell you, it's much more difficult to run a grassroots, shoe-leather campaign where you actually talk to voters, than to throw millions of dollars on TV.
______________________________________

To read another article about Rick Santorum, click here.

No comments: