Saturday, June 25, 2011

Raising Ire with Adam Hasner


Raising Ire with Adam Hasner
by Lisa De Pasquale
06/25/2011

Since I moved to D.C. from Florida in 1999, I’ve kept an eye on several of the great leaders who have emerged from the Sunshine State. Gov. Jeb Bush, Sen. Marco Rubio, Rep. Allen West, among others. Recently, there has also been a lot of interest in former Florida Rep. Adam Hasner.

In April, Hasner announced on Mark Levin’s radio show that he would be seeking the open U.S. Senate seat in Florida. Hasner served as deputy majority whip in the Florida House and was later picked by then-Speaker Marco Rubio to become majority leader.

Hasner raised the ire of Democrats by voting against additional stimulus funds for the state and leading a successful effort to have money in the state pension fund diverted from companies that do business in Iran. Now as co-chairman of the Balanced Budget Amendment Coalition, he has led the effort to get the U.S. Congress to hold itself accountable on spending.

Hasner is a committed conservative and emerging as a national leader on important issues. Most important to my family still in Florida, he’s a graduate of the Florida State University School of Law. Go Seminoles!

1. If there was a television channel that only showed one movie over and over, what movie should it be?

HASNER: Rudy

2. What’s one of your favorite movie quotes?

HASNER: “Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them.”—Wall Street

3. In A Clockwork Orange, Malcolm McDowell is strapped in with his eyes propped open and forced to watch images until he is "cured." If you could give President Obama the "Clockwork Orange treatment," what movie would you make him watch?

HASNER: Anything made by Michael Moore, cut so that scenes all featured Michael Moore. I don't know if it would be curative, but it would be punitive.

4. What pop culture souvenir do you own that people would be surprised to learn that you cherish?

HASNER: I used to have an old cell phone that I used relentlessly during my time as a state legislator. It finally died after years of service, so I had it mounted and actually put it on display. Aside from that, I really love my iPad, but who doesn’t?

5. What's your current “guilty pleasure” non-news television show?

HASNER: “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” on the Food Network

6. What's your quirkiest ringtone?

HASNER: I don’t have any quirky ringtones, but if someone showed me how to change my ringtone to a Rascal Flatts song, I’d probably do it.

7. What was the first rock concert you ever attended, and where did you sit and who went with you?

HASNER: Devo, when I was in grade school, at the West Palm Beach Amphitheater with some of my buddies. Back then, it was all open seating and we got a spot near the front. I wish I could find one of those cool hats they wore.

8. What books are on your summer reading list?

HASNER: Reagan: The Notes and 2030 by Albert Brooks.

9. As a displaced Floridian, I'm curious, what is your favorite vacation destination in Florida?

HASNER: Amelia Island. Great relaxing spot on Florida’s “First Coast.” A lot of great Florida history and beautiful surroundings.

10. What’s the coolest thing you’ve been able to do because of your role in the political arena?

HASNER: The coolest thing by far was introducing Vice President Dick Cheney during the 2004 elections. He gave an important address on Israel and the Middle East .

11. If Republicans and Democrats had theme songs for 2011 what would they be?

HASNER: Republicans: “I Won't Back Down” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Democrats: “Take the Money and Run” by the Steve Miller Band.

12. Tell me about the moment you decided to enter the political arena.

HASNER: Wasn't a particular moment, but like a lot of people, I was inspired at a young age by Ronald Reagan. I first started thinking about entering the arena, and public policy, when I worked as a legislative page in the Florida legislature.

No comments: