Tuesday, May 3, 2011
20 Notable Quotes By And About Osama Bin Laden
20 Notable Quotes By And About Osama Bin Laden
By John Hawkins
The biggest terrorist on Planet Earth has, at long last, been delivered to justice courtesy of a SEAL's bullet. Some people may say we haven't won anything because killing Bin Laden won't end terrorism forever. I'd say that we have at least ended all terrorism committed by Bin Laden forever.
In any case, by now you've probably already high fived a few friends, chanted USA to someone, even if it's only the dog, and read and heard more about "Osama Bin dead two days now" than you ever wanted to know. Still, given the momentous significance of Osama's death, it seems apropos to serve up a few quotes of note by and about one of the biggest monsters of the last century.
1) As I said, our boys were shocked by the low morale of the American soldier and they realized that the American soldier was just a paper tiger. -- Osama Bin Laden
2) We love death. The U.S. loves life. That is the big difference between us. -- Osama Bin Laden
3) I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, “Wanted: Dead or Alive.” -- George Bush on Osama Bin Laden
4) I can you hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon! -- George W. Bush
5) Mr. Bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we'd been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start meeting with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. -- Bill Clinton explains to a Long Island, N.Y. business group why he turned down Sudan's offer to extradite Osama Bin Laden to America in 1996
6) So now the question is, basically, right now, how will (the Osama Bin Laden tape) affect the election? And I have a feeling that it could tilt the election a bit. In fact, I'm a little inclined to think that Karl Rove, the political manager at the White House, who is a very clever man, that he probably set up Bin Laden to this thing. -- Walter Cronkite
7) I've resisted pronouncing a sentence before guilt is found. I will have this old-fashioned notion that even with people like Osama, who is very likely to be found guilty, we should do our best not to, in positions of executive power, not to prejudge jury trials. -- Howard Dean
8) When I say the death penalty is inhumane. I mean [it's inhumane] whether that person is in a bird cage [jail] or it's Bin Laden. -- Danny Glover
9) At some point, (either Bush or Bin Laden) has to put it back in his pants and zip up the zipper at some point. -- Star Jones
10) One could say that Osama bin Laden and these non- nation-state fighters with religious purpose are very similar to those kind of atypical revolutionaries that helped to cast off the British crown. - - Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur
11) When you ride alone you ride with Bin Laden: What the government should be telling us to help fight the war on terrorism. -- A book by Bill Maher
12) I will follow Osama Bin Laden to the gates of hell and I will shoot him with your products. -- John McCain to an audience at Thompson Center Arms
13) Imagine if somebody were to really sit down with Osama Bin Ladin and say, "Listen man, what is it that you’re so angry at me about that you’re willing to have people strap bombs to themselves, or get inside of airplanes and fly them into buildings?" That would be the miracle if we can get, sit down and talk to our enemies and have a fine way for them to hear us. -- Matthew Modine
14) We've got to ask, why is this man (Osama Bin Laden) so popular around the world? Why are people so supportive of him in many countries ... that are riddled with poverty? He's been out in these countries for decades, building schools, building roads, building infrastructure, building day care facilities, building health care facilities, and the people are extremely grateful. We haven't done that. -- Senator Patty Murray
15) I am convinced that international terrorism gave itself the goal of not allowing the re-election of Bush. The statement by bin Laden in the final stages of the pre-election campaign is the best confirmation of this. - - Vladimir Putin
16) The PDB (Bin Laden Determined to Strike in U.S.) does not say the United States is going to be attacked. It says Bin Laden would like to attack the United States. I don't think you, frankly, had to have that report to know that Bin Laden would like to attack the United States. -- Condi Rice
17) Q: Secretary Rumsfeld, do you want to catch (Bin Laden) dead or alive or either way?
A: Well, the president's policy is dead or alive. And, you know, I have my preference... -- Donald Rumsfeld
18) I’ve heard that speculation about Osama bin Laden in Tora Bora and it’s never been verified. People have written books and where you stand depends on where you sit. I’m sure they believe what they said. But the fact of the matter, from everything I’ve been able to determine, is it has not been determined conclusively that he was there. -- Donald Rumsfeld
19) Bin Laden was completely protected by the oil companies in this country who told [President] Bush not to go after him because it would piss off the Saudis. -- Oliver Stone
20) In a war on Afghanistan, Osama Bin Laden will either be left alive, while thousands of impoverished, frightened people are bombed into oblivion around him, or he will be killed in a bombing attack for which he seems quite prepared. But what would happen to his cool armor if he could be reminded of all the good, nonviolent things he has done? Further, what would happen to him if he could be brought to understand the preciousness of the lives he has destroyed? I firmly believe the only punishment that works is love. -- Alice Walker, The Village Voice.
To read another article by John Hawkins, click here.
Posted by Brett at 11:57 AM